The State Theatre first opened in November, 1927, and was the flagship of the Chakeres Amusement Company. Founded in 1911 by Phil Chakeres, the still-functioning circuit grew to an eventual 80 screens in Ohio, and started with the 150-seatPrincess in Springfield. The State's architect was Charles Dawley, working from a design by John Eberson.
The auditorium might be described as semi-atmospheric, with castle walls decor but an ornamented ceiling with eight crystal chandeliers.
The State was never sub-divided and operated until 1990. The State has since reopened and is now used for live theater as well as screenings of silent movies.